Uttarakhand government has said that most of its tourists destinations are safe for travellers.
Tourism in the state received a major setback after a big flood and cloudburst calamity in June this year.
According to the state government 90 per cent of the destinations are in fact unaffected.
"These places were almost unaffected by the calamity and there is no risk in visiting them," tourism minister Amrita Rawat said in Delhi on Friday, Sept 27, at the launch of a campaign to provide a boost to tourism in Himalayan states.
The campaign was launched by the Union Minister of State for Tourism, Chiranjeevi, an official release said in Dehradun on Saturday.
Rawat said that only 10 per cent of the tourist destinations, part of the 'Char Dham Yatra' circuit, suffered extensive damage in the June flash floods.
Efforts were on to gradually repair the damaged infrastructure in the Char Dham area, she added.
The flash floods in Uttarakhand, which claimed the lives of hundreds of pilgrims and tourists, generated a sense of insecurity among potential visitors with hotels and resorts in places like Mussoorie and Nainital witnessing bulk cancellations.
Meanwhile, Uttarakhand Tourism Secretary Umakant Panwar, who also spoke on the occasion, said a 14-km long ropeway will be built between Gaurikund and the Kedarnath shrine.
The 14-km trek route between Gaurikund and Kedarnath was badly damaged in the flash floods.
Panwar said that the fee charged by the state government for people to visit high-altitude areas had been waived to give a boost to adventure tourism in Uttarakhand.Source: PTI